Thursday, March 26, 2009

With business cards- does a higher gsm generally portray higher quality?

I am about to get some business cards made up but would like to know more about the options available to me.





Firstly- how thick is 350gsm? Does it portray higher quality than say 250gsm?





Secondly- I don%26#039;t want any sort of laminate or glossy finish to my card, I just want it plain and fibrous. Do I need to ask for a matte finish to achieve this?





Thirdly- If i want one line of reasonably skinny text to have a uv spot- will this stand out and be visible enough to warrant spending the extra money? Or should I add the spot to an area of the logo (which I%26#039;m worried may look over the top)





Thanks in advance for the help
With business cards- does a higher gsm generally portray higher quality?
Without seeing your design, it%26#039;s a little hard to follow some of your options, but...





1. A thicker grade of stock will tend to exude a little higher quality than a thinner grade, but, that said, I%26#039;ve seen some very nice cards that were printed on a very slim piece of vellum that were quite nice. I think, overall, the design of a card speaks more to quality than the thickness of a card.





2. If you want a plain, fibrous card, then you do not want any finish whatsoever. A matte finish will tend to flatten out the gloss of the ink you are using on your card. From my perspective, this may be a waste of money.





3. Depending on the design and size of the UV spot, this could look nice. It may be somewhat inperceptible to the untrained eye though.





If you send me a PDF of your design, I%26#039;d be happy to provide more input. I%26#039;m basically speaking in generalities here.





Good luck with your printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment